Letter For My Ellie
Dear Ellie,
Today I had a lot of patience with you. Sometimes I am not the most patient mother in the world with you. But you are sweet and creative and energetic and so many more wonderful things that I love. You are great at sharing your toys. When I fall asleep on the sofa, you put your stuffed reindeer on my head. The first time you did it, I was going to yell at you for it--but, it was actually comfortable. You were just sharing a little-known sleeping trick with me. Cause it's really nice to sleep with Rhonda on my head. Now, you bring it and plop it down on my head when I ask you to.
You're learning your ABC's. You already know the song (and have for years), but now you are learning to recognize and write the letters, and to understand what sound they make. You're especially great at making big letter E's. For Ellie, naturally. And when you make me beautiful paintings and drawings, you sign them with a big letter E. I secretly hope you will be an artist like Mommy. You say that you want to be a "doggy doctor." You LOVE doggies.
Just like me, it embarrasses you to dance, but you secretly love it. Today, you let go and danced Samba and it made me laugh until I teared up.
You are caring and sweet. You are a Big Girl Helper with baby Eva. You rock her seat, and put the suckie in her mouth until she calms down. When she won't, you yell at her and it makes me laugh.
Today you told me you didn't want to sleep with your butterfly pillow behind your head, because it makes your head too hot. That made me laugh.
You're silly and like to tease people just like your Papi. When you're sitting on the sofa next to me and you start to feel bored, you sometimes stick your foot under my nose and insist that I smell it. Yes, this aggravates me a little-- but it is also funny. You get your fabulous sense of humor from your Papi. You get other things from him too, like your loooooooooooong legs. Secretly, Mommy is a little bit jealous of your pretty little dancer's body. But if I couldn't have it, I'm glad my baby girl does.
You have been wearing the red Snow White bow headband every day since Christmas. With everything. And tonight before bed, you wanted to take it off. You said it was really uncomfortable.
I asked you again and confirmed that no, it was not comfortable-- to which I asked, if it's not comfy, why you do wear it every day?? You smiled and shrugged, and I realized that you're learning to be a woman. You'll wear something uncomfortable every day as long as it's pretty and looks good on you! And I realized what a BIG GIRL you're becoming.
It makes me sad and it makes me proud, to see how fast you're growing into an amazing little Person, and not a Baby or Toddler.



5 comments:
ok, that made me tear up! i love both of you so much...i really wish we were closer to each other...physical distance. :)
What a sweet, sweet letter. I still cant' believe you are blogging so much and so well with a new baby. Keep it up and I hope you sleep sometime this year:)
blogging is how i keep a journal... for me it's faster and easier to record thoughts and feelings this way, and i'd never sit down and actually write stuff with a pen and paper.. so even though sometimes i have to blog one-handed, i make sure i do it. :)
i'm so happy you blog...even if it's one-handed. :)
me too!
Post a Comment