Sunday, May 2, 2010

What happens when you get married.


Yesterday we were driving down the road as a family. Between Mommy, Papi, and two child-laden car seats, we pretty much fill our little Mitsubishi Galant to its maximum capacity. I mean, there's supposedly one more seat in between the girls, which is filled with all their paraphernalia/junk.

We were merrily on our way to Tia Lorena's house for dinner, when we came up on a short school bus, decorated with pink Bachelorette Party garb. The bus was filled with giggling 20-somethings, surely on their way to (here I go judging) get drunk and do other inappropriate things to celebrate Ashley's last days as a single chick.

We came to a stoplight right next to them, of course. It was a gorgeous day out, so we had our windows down and so did they.

Ellie noticed the school bus and was staring at it, and they noticed Ellie (and Eva, I'm sure) and we waving at her. She was waving back, and all was lovely until one of them pointed at us and said, "Look Ashley, that's what happens when you get married!"

I'm not sure if they meant our messy little car, or the fact that it was filled with our 2 kids and their junk, or the fact that I'm now fat, or all of the above... But at first the comment stung, since I knew they meant it to be negative... I stared straight ahead like I hadn't heard their comment. It made me a little mad, and a little embarrassed. I was thinking worldly.

For like, 2 seconds.

Then I thought, you know what? That's right. This IS what happens when you get married.

And when you go with the temple variety, you end up with an Eternal Companion who loves you more than life itself and who is completely dedicated to you FOREVER, and beautiful children whom you know to be literal sons and daughters of God and who are born in the covenant and eternally sealed to you no matter what happens in this life.

So yes Ashley! I wanted to holler out the window.

This is what happens when you get married.

Pretty fantastic, huh?

3 comments:

Ronnie Missioni May 2, 2010 at 10:35 PM  

For all that you lose, (humor in poop, seating in the car, sleep, your waist-line) there is nothing that compares to what you gain, a life partner, children who are literally a part you, a family that is every thing. Treasure it always and never wish for the past nor regret the past for every thing that was, is what led to today and shapes your tomorrow. Whew didn't mean to get so wordy...sorry :)

Jackie May 3, 2010 at 9:25 AM  

well said whitney and mom.

love you both!

EllieandEvasMommy May 8, 2010 at 7:33 PM  

haha-- i love you both and thanks for your comments :)