The difference between a baby and a girl
As Ellie gets closer and closer to 4 years old, I notice new things about her. She is changing, on the inside as well as the outside.
I took the girls to the play area at the mall today, and Ellie played with 2 boys. She played with a boy the last time, when my dad took her, and the time before that, she befriended a little blond boy with a faux-hawk.
I think she prefers boys over girls as playmates. Which is fine. I was like that too (with a few exceptions, of course!). I hung out with a lot of boys in school, especially high school.
I think Ellie may be a tomboy?? We'll see.
I showed her a dress that I bought her, and she said, "Mmm, that's not really my color."
Um, excuse me??
She really caught me off guard. I asked her what "her color" was, and of course it was purple.
But this dress has purple flowers, I reminded her.
Yeah, but it has other color flowers, too. She won. But she's still going to wear the dress.
Speaking of the dress, it's not from the toddler section. It's not a 4T or 5T. It doesn't come in smaller sizes that a baby could wear.
It's a big girl dress. I bought it in the girls section, and it's size XS. Last week I also bought her a couple shirts from the Children's Place in the girls section. Also size XS.
I can't believe she can fit into girls clothes now. I don't have to shop in the baby section for her anymore.
Although I prefer to! While shopping at Target, I noticed a couple of things.
There are some very big differences between the baby/toddler clothes section, and the girls section.
I started out in the baby/toddler clothes, and it was peaceful and quiet. I calmly scoured the racks of sweet, innocent baby clothes, and smoothed my hands over the fabrics adorned with flowers, hearts, and hippos. The colors were bright and vibrant, some pieces weren't as modest as I would like for my girls, but all could be worn with a little white shirt underneath.
I crossed the aisle to the girls section. It wasn't more than 15 feet away.
But it was like another planet. All the sudden, everything I saw looked more fit for a 20-something at a night club. Seriously?? Cut-out backs, mini skirts, a shirt with risque lacy ruffles at the bottom that I soon discovered was meant to be a dress, although whose little butt cheeks that thing would cover, still remains a mystery to me.
Not only that, but the environment was a complete 180. Girls were smart-mouthing their mothers left and right, mothers were retorting for their kids to "shut up!" (something I strongly believe it is NEVER okay to say to your children)... I think my jaw may have dropped.
I'm not ready for this. I want to stunt Ellie's growth and keep her small and innocent forever. I don't like shopping in the big girls section!
Although, this is the sweet little modest dress I finally found:
I just want my little girl to stay that way. Is that so wrong??




1 comments:
after shopping for ellie, i now see your dilemma. :(
Post a Comment