Thursday, July 22, 2010

Why Ellie is the coolest kid ever, and Eva is the sweetest baby in the world.

Yesterday morning I stepped out of the shower, ready to face the day. I dried off, wondering if Ellie was awake yet. I hadn’t heard her door open.

I brushed my teeth and opened the bathroom door, and stopped. On the floor right outside the door, was a little birthday invitation, propped upright so that it could be easily seen.

I grinned. On cue, Ellie came running from the living room to tell me about how Papi had left it on the ottoman for her, and who’s birthday was it, and could she go, pleasepleasePLEASE??

She’s just like her Papi. He leaves little surprises out for her where she will see them. So she left the invitation outside the bathroom door and waited for me to find it. I love that sweet child!

****

Last night Eva and I had a breakthrough— usually I give her a bottle, and she falls asleep drinking, (like a little alcoholic). Either that, or wait until she’s super cranky and rock her to sleep. Well yesterday, she had 3 naps instead of 2.

So after her bottle, she was still wide awake. So I sat her in her bouncy seat and got my dinner ready. She wasn’t even really cranky, like she wanted to go to sleep.

Eventually, she got a tiny bit fussy right as I had my dinner ready on my plate. So I took her into her room and laid her down, awake. And I left. And I stood in the hall thinking that there was NO WAY she was going to fall asleep.

She screamed for like, 2 minutes. Ellie didn’t wake up, so I didn’t go in there to intervene. I sat down to my dinner, and just like that, the screaming  stopped. I thought, ok, either Eva fell asleep or Ellie got tired of the screaming and got up and silently smothered her sister…. Either way, it was peaceful.

I went in later to check on both the babies--- both were lying on their backs, pink cheeks and mouths wide open. I love it.

0 comments: